Land-Rover Freelander 2 2.2Td4 XS
What is it?
The old Freelander was Britain’s best-selling 4×4. Freelander 2 is a completely new car: bigger, roomier and more sophisticated with no carry-over parts.
- 2.2-litre Peugeot-made diesel engine is smooth and muscular
- Agile and responsive on-road, very capable off-road
- Looks good – a blend of Discovery and Range Rover Sport
- Automatic transmission arrives soon for diesel
- Now has conventional tailgate with spare wheel under floor
- No three-door version this time
- Interior quality disappointing, fake ‘wood’ option is awful
- Higher-trim models are expensive
What you need to Know?
|Tax Band when posted:||29%|
|Monthly BiK:||72 (20%)/£144 (40%)|
|Engine:||2.2-litre turbo diesel|
|Power/torque:||158bhp / 295lb ft|
Monthly rental courtesy of HSBC DriverQuote. Based on 36-month/36,000-mile contract hire agreement with maintenance.
Business Car Manager Road Test Rating
The old Freelander was very popular despite its reputation for unreliability. The new one should repeat the success and uses many components well-proven in various Fords. And no other compact SUV is as capable off-road.